Mission: Completed

Operation Desert Blossom is Complete!

Is it too late to send items? Unfortunately, yes. But there are people in need within every community, and many other good causes would gladly accept your donations.


Thank you all for reading and donating. It has been a tremendous blessing to me and great help to the people here. God bless!

--Matt

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Getting Olivia'd

I've been so touched and inspired by others' generosity that I wanted to share a couple of stories. A few weeks ago as I was leaving early in the morning to go workout I found this on my doorstep.
A huge box of donations left anonymously on my doorstep for ODB. Inside the box were razors, soaps, feminine hygiene stuff, toothpastes, toothbrushes and other hygiene supplies. In the bag were women's clothes and blankets. I wondered who the kind soul was that left this. I only found out when she came again the next night and I accidentally "caught" her. She knocked so quietly that had I not been standing close to the door I probably wouldn't have heard her.  She was dropping off a few more items she had collected.  This extremely thoughtful act was done by a single-mom I go to church with. Honestly she isn't someone I know well, nor did I have any idea she was collecting stuff for ODB. But very quietly, without seeking any sort of acknowledgement, for the past several weeks she would throw a couple of extra things in her shopping cart for Afghan women and children, and the military personnel.

Then yesterday I received two more large bags of stuff.


These came from one of my very active, very independent neighbors who would (justifiably) be offended if the only word I used to describe her was "widowed". She has been very busy knitting hats of all sizes, and sewing baby blankets for the Afghans. In addition she bought a lot of warm blankets, wash clothes, gloves, and coloring books to donate.
I knew it before, but it has certainly been reiterated, I have some very cool neighbors!
--Becky

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! What great neighbors. A fun surprise for you, and a fun surprise for the people here too- it was 28 F last night.

    --Matt

    ReplyDelete